Schools Co-curricular Licence

Under Australian copyright law, schools and educational institutions have certain rights relating to the use of films used in the classroom for educational purposes. Full details of those rights and exceptions to copyright are available at

However, those rights and exceptions do not generally extend to entertainment or non-educational purposes, such as might apply for rained out sports days, teacher absences, after-school care etc.

If one of the exceptions to copyright does not apply, the school must obtain the permission of the copyright holder and pay a licence fee. Failure to do so could be a breach of copyright. A practical solution for both schools and copyright holders is now available.

With the support of the National Copyright Unit, Ministerial Council on Education, Early Childhood Development and Youth Affairs, and the various government and non-government education jurisdictions throughout Australia, Roadshow PPL has made available a blanket licence  scheme specifically for primary and secondary schools for the non-educational use of films. Tertiary and/or adult education institutions are not covered under this scheme.

The Roadshow PPL Schools Co-curricular Licence is supported by Roadshow Films, Warner Bros, Universal, Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Walt Disney, eOne/Hopscotch, Icon/Dendy, StudioCanal, Palace Films, Madman, Rialto, Pinnacle and Transmission.

Some jurisdictions have already made a central payment on behalf of all schools under their control, whereas others support the scheme but have made it an optional decision for their schools to take up on a school by school basis.

The licence runs a calendar year, ending December 31 each year.

The first step of the registration determines if your school is presently covered.  If it is not, continue with the registration and payment steps to accept the Licence Agreement terms and have a Tax Invoice issued.

Further information on this scheme and other copyright issues relating to the education market can also be obtained from  or your State governing body.